Sa Sariling Wika


I would have loved to write in Filipino, or to be more precise, Tagalog, and prove to my friend that the one entry in Filipino in this blog was not a fluke. But I guess it was. I have the article all set in my mind, complete with expletives and all. See, I thought it would work, with me feeling strongly about a lot of things right now. Well, it sounded good while I was running it through my head.

But not written down.

Don't get me wrong, I speak Tagalog just like the next guy. Well, not quite; my friends tell me I have a funny way of saying the PI word, which, thank God, I do not say as often as the next guy. But written down is another matter. Written down, my Tagalog tends to sound too formal, or on the other swing, too informal. It just doesn't seem to translate what I really want to say. Whatever. I think Mr. Conrado de Quiros was right when he said in one of his articles that Tagalog is more of an oral language than a written one, and that although we speak in our own dialects, more often than not, we read and write in English( for more on this, you can check inquirer.net).

So there. For the moment, let me put off my Tagalog article for another day. And let me think of a new way to write what I wanted to write today.

Comments

Popular Posts