For the People Power Children, From Another


Even the heavens mourned the passing of the woman in yellow.

For the past several days, thousands braved the constant rain, if only to be given a few seconds to honor the person, who, for decades now have been a symbol of peace, not just for Filipinos, but for the rest of the world. Cory Aquino has passed away, but her people remember and honor her.

And yet, those who came after the People Power Revolution know her daughter Kris more than than they do Cory. The Laban sign has evolved to become the Loser symbol. Some overbloated ego would even think that a noontime show is more important than paying tribute to a president. How ironic. Or is it apt? Have we become so wrapped up in apathy, so comfortable in this semblance of peace that we have gained, that we have forgotten to teach our children? I hope not. For their very sakes, I hope not.

The past few days, we have have seen the resurgence of all things that had to do with Cory and the People Power Revolution- the Laban sign, the yellow ribbons, the songs. I found myself explaining to the younger ones how we, the Filipinos, as a people, stopped cowering, and finally, decided to stand up to a dictator, and shout, "Tama na, Sobra na, Palitan na!"; how we gained our freedom, Yes, I, who was able to catch only the tail end of the dictatorship that colored my childhood, I, who, was too young to have done much but watch from the outskirts of a revolution, who probably remembers the dictator most as the one who stopped the cartoons from being shown, the one who scared little children into keeping their mouths shut and their opinions for themselves.

But I tried, and I hope I was understood.

Cory Aquino, was the symbol of that revolution. She was a symbol of hope, and peace, for most of us. Let me dare say, too, that she may be the greatest president this country has had to date. She was not perfect, she did not even want to be president, but she did her best for her people, and was much loved in return. And she never stopped fighting for peace and democracy. Soft-spoken as she was, she was one of the strongest women, and, let me dare again say, persons, the world has known. Even her detractors will not contradict this fact.

Yesterday, I wore yellow, to honor President Aquino. I saddens me that I was duty bound to go to work, and was unable to pay my last respects to her, like some of my friends did. I was not among the crowd. Once more, I was in the outskirts, watching the proceedings from live streaming over the internet whenever I can. It saddens me more how some people who had the chance to pay tribute to her chose to pass up, or worse, to step up their own agenda, instead. What, really, have they learned from Cory?

After all the heightened feelings have passed, let us take stock and see how far we have gone, if at all, since People Power. Let us remember Cory for the courage she had in facing a dictator. May we, who reap the fruits of what she fought for, remember, that the best way to honor her memory is to continue to fight for the things she dedicated her life to. Peace, freedom, and democracy are fleeting things; they can easily be taken away from us. Let us be vigilant. Let us not let all Cory and all she fought for go to waste.

The ball is in our hands now. And so, let us proudly say, "Cory, di ka nag-iisa".

Comments

Popular Posts