My Top Five Comfort Food


It's inevitable, people feel bad, they eat. Must be a remnant of those times when we were helpless babies and feeding was the only thing that stops us crying. Whatever, I'm not going to go into the psychology of that behavior. I was just thinking, what do I eat when I'm feeling down? Here is a list of my top five comfort food, in no particular order:


  • Gummy worms - You know that song, "Nobody loves me...I'm gonna eat some worms.." Well gummy worms are way better than the garden variety; not that I've tried the latter. This is my current comfort food. I'm pretty sure I'll get tired of it soon, though. All that sweet...not good!
  • Mexicali's Veggie Buritos - This was from way back, when I was working the graveyard shift and went home to a unit devoid of occupants. Big burito, veggies, chips, salsa and a tall glass of lemonade to keep me company...no wonder I gained weight, eating all that before sleeping.
  • Ice Cream - No particular brand, or flavor, just good, old-fashioned ice cream. Eating ice cream makes me think of childhood, and birthday parties, when all one needed was pancit and/or spaghetti and ice-cream to have a good time. Plus, I'm one weird person who likes staying indoors and eating ice-cream on a rainy day.
  • Halo-halo - Summertime in the Philippines is halo-halo season. What I like most is gathering all the leftover sweets from fiesta and dumping ice, milk and sugar on them for a cool, homemade glass of halo-halo. Also, going around the neighborhood to see which place is selling the best summer treat. I also like Cool King, though I'm not sure if they have already closed operations. I know that the stall in SM city is gone. I liked it that you can choose your halo, and, weird me, I liked eating Cool King halo-halo in a movie house.
  • Sbarro's baked ziti - I love Italian food, and Sbarro is the most accessible Pizzeria/Ristorante in town. There's something about the food, and the place, itself, that makes me feel comfortable, like an old friend I can always go back to; it brings back memories of college friendships and romance. Funny, thinking of food that way...
So there, my top five. It was fun making that list.

Comments

Popular Posts