Beautiful Boy

Yup, the title is lifted from yet another Lennon song. I guess I do not have to say how much I love his songs. Anyway, this was not written for my son, as I do not have one (I'd like to add yet, but I stop myself). This one is for a little boy I once had the good fortune to encounter on a jeepney ride....

I do not know who you are,
But I saw your hands,
And they were beautiful hands.

I never heard your voice,
But I saw the dance you had inside your heard,
And I wanted to move in time with your music.

You never looked my way,
But I kept looking into your eyes,
Hoping you'd see me, or allow me to see the beauty that you know.

You never let me into your world
But how I longed to understand that peace;
It lies so far away where only your beauty reigns still.

This will not be enough to desribe how I felt when I saw that child. He was beautiful. And he was special. He was not what you and I would call normal. But I saw happiness whenever he moved. I saw wonder in his eyes whenever he looked around. He danced with his hands. He may not be normal as we tend to view normal. But sometimes, I do believe, he got the better deal.

Comments

Popular Posts